[squid-users] Squid Configuration - IP Gateway Issue

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Dec 4 09:26:18 UTC 2016

On 4/12/2016 9:40 p.m., Mohammed M AlJakri wrote:
> Dears,
>
> My name is Mohammed M AlJakri, from IT Advisory Department in Ernst and Young Company at Iraq.
> I am newbie to Squid and I need your assistant to implement the Basic settings. The Squid server and the my laptop is connected to the home router. (Squid Config file is attached) The DHCP is the local router, the details are below:
> 172.16.10.1/16 (router and Gateway)
> 172.16.10.100-199 Range
> 172.16.10.3 (Squid server IP) is squid server should be the gateway?

That depends on what you want to do with it. For now it does not have to
be, but may change later as you change what you are doing with the proxy.

What OS and Squid version are you using on the Squid machine?

(Hint: "uname -a ; squid -v" should tell you that)

> after setting the proxy server in the browser-Proxy settings-
> (IP:172.16.10.3 , port 8888) I cant access internet but I still can
> ping 8.8.8.8 . also in tracert command, the first hop is the
> gateway/router (172.16.10.1)

The ping and tracert tools do not use the browser config settings. So
are not going to produce meaningful results at this point.

Check the /etc/resolv.conf settings of the Squid machine have been setup
correctly by DHCP.

If that looks correct to you. Then please provide details of what "cant
access internet" looks like. What error message is showing up, where it
is showing up, etc.