[squid-users] Https_port with "official" certificate

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:30:33 UTC 2016

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HTTPS#Encrypted_browser-Squid_connecti
>> on
>>
>>> Secure connection to squid proxy without need for anything else (on
>>> client side) than configuring proxy in browser.
>>
>>> Using provided signed certificates.
>>> No SSL-bumping or whatever just forwarding.
>>
>> Firstly, the concept is not safe. Users will have a secure connection to
>> the proxy
>
> Yes, that is all the OP is looking for.
>
>> as well as the next?
>
> Once it leaves the OP's network I suspect the risk (of eavesdropping
etc) is
> reduced.
>
>> HTTP? User misled green padlock,
>
> I do not think the browser will show an SSL/TLS padlock for a secured
proxy
> connection - it only shows this for a secured connection to the
destination
> server.  Therefore no misled users.
>
>> believes all secure connection - as external traffic is not encrypted
>> after the fact. Second. You seriously think that the world will sit
>> under HTTPS? What, for example, you want to protect on news sites?
>
> I don't understand what you are saying here.
May be some misunderstanding here.

If we are talking about encryption, just authentication proxy - is one
thing. If encryption of all client traffic at all only to the proxy, not
caring about what happens to it next - is another.

> The connection across the local network between browser and proxy is
secured.

> Beyond that everything works across the Internet just as normal - HTTP
sites
> are not secured, HTTPS sites are secured.  The user sees SSL padlock and
> certificate chain for HTTPS sites, nothing for HTTP sites.
>
> So, the design is more secure over the local network than the standard
> arrangement, and exactly the same beyond the local network.
Correct LAN design solves most of these problems.

> No security is being compromised or downgraded.
Not sure.