[squid-users] Yet another store_id question HIT MISS

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:34:10 UTC 2016

http://igcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s150x150/e35/13649137_1547514802224163_950421795_n.jpg

http://igcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s150x150/e35/13649137_1547514802224163_950421795_n.jpg

> Because your override-expire tells Squid to ignore the
> Cache-Control:max-age expiry details - instead to treat anything 10080
> seconds old as expired.
>
> Then the override-last-mod tells Squid to ignore the Last-Modified
> header, instead to treat everything arriving as being 10080 seconds old.
>
> When combined they mean that objects are only cacheable for the
> remainder of the first second after arrival. When that 0-1 second is
> over they are identified as being stale and require revalidation to be
used.

> Your options also tell Squid to ignore revalidation ...
>  You see where this is going?
>

> It is most often a bad idea to override cache controls coming from the
> server. refresh_pattern is a way to work around broken services or those
> which do not send sufficient cache-controls to cache properly. Use with
> great care and caution.
I do not agree. Many webmasters intentionally set the value in the "no
cache" in their own selfish interests. For example, when displaying
advertising. Or, even worse, when watching videos - like Youtube. Which
leads to the monstrous traffic overspending. Why should we respect them?
While they actively oppose us?