[squid-users] How can I complete this tutorial?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sat Aug 13 08:22:21 UTC 2016

On Saturday 13 August 2016 at 08:37:15, james82 wrote:

> ok, this is last. Is i add this right:

> #acl homepc src 12.34.56.78

The # symbol at the start of a line means it is a comment, and therefore
ignored by squid.

The tutorial you are trying to follow does not have a # at the start of that
line, therefore please do not add one.

Also, you do need to READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the tutorial.  If you
will read what it says immediately after telling you to add that line:

-----
Be sure to replace client with a name identifying the connecting computer and
12.34.56.78 with your local IP address. The comment # Home IP isn’t required,
but comments can be used to help identify clients.
-----

Therefore you must CHANGE 12.34.56.78 to be the real IP address of YOUR
computer (and no, we cannot tell you what that is - it's YOUR computer, not
ours).

> # INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS
> http_access allow homepc

That line looks fine.  Well done.

> i just edit only like this. is anything out that i should do. what about
> make a password for this.

Keep things simple to start with.  Test them.  When they work, start on the
complicated stuff.

> and in the linode website tutorial, what about anonymizing traffic?

As I said before, don't worry about step three until you have steps 1 and 2
correctly working.

So, what you need to do now is:

1. Remove the # from the "acl homepc" line

2. Change the IP address in the "acl homepc" line to be that of your client
computer (the one your browser is running on).

3. Restart the squid service, look out for any reported errors, and correct
the lines it complains about if it does.

4. Test the system by configuring your browser to use the proxy, trying to
access a website, and looking at squid.s log file (which is probably in
/var/log/squid3/access.log on your system).

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

 - Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.