[squid-users] How can I complete this tutorial?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Fri Aug 12 12:06:17 UTC 2016

On Friday 12 August 2016 at 13:53:10, james82 wrote:

> Yes, if you see in my post. It have the line: This is the documentation for
> the Squid configuration file

In that case you are editing the wrong file.

Please answer my question "Where on your system is the squid.conf file which
you are using?"

> and it also have line:  INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW
> ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS".

> No, i not still not tried adding the lines containined in the tutorial you
> are trying to follow yet, because i don't know where should i add right.

Add the lines immediately after the line "INSERT YOUR OWN..." (as I said in a
previous reply).

However, please answer my question "Where on your system is the squid.conf file
which you are using?"

> and it also have step 3 in tutorial, anonymizing traffic, i don't know how to
> do this.

Don't worry about step three until you have steps 1 and 2 correctly working.

Incidentally, I cannot help feeling that you are not going to achieve what you
appear to want.  You keep on talking of anonymizing your traffic, and you
previously asked how to change your IP address...

I am assuming that your Squid server is either:

1. on your own network, on an Internet connection registered to you

or

2. hosted by a provider on a machine registered to you

or

3. hosted on some cloud service running under an account registered to you

Therefore in all three cases, requests sent to remote websites by your Squid
server will be traceable in the remote server logs to your account and
therefore you.

The "anonymizing" steps in the tutorial you are trying to follow will hide the
IP address of your client machine, but not that of your Squid server.

Best wishes,

Antony.

--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

 - Bill Gates

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.