[squid-users] how to install squid proxy with source package downloaded, not use apt?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Aug 9 16:12:22 UTC 2016

On 10/08/2016 2:51 a.m., james82 wrote:
> I use kali linux. I want to install squid proxy in my kali "cute"linux, not
> by use apt-get install, because i'm not sure they have lastest version. I
> want to install with source file download from official squid website.
> Please tell me how to do this? Is it work perfect with this method.

Kali is based on Debian Testing. So you can use the Debian Testing or
Sid repositories to get the latest packages. It has 3.5.19 at present.
Which should be current enough, there were no critical changes in the .20.

The best way to do custom installs is to start with an install of the
distro package with apt. That gives you all the integration scripts,
paths and permissions etc.

Then do your custom compile over the top. Details specific for Debian
are at <http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian>. They should
work just as well for Kali.