[squid-users] Range header is a hit ratio killer

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Aug 8 01:17:44 UTC 2016

Hey Yuri,

The issue is not money alone…

To my understanding Squid is written in C++ and is very complex, due to this it requires more then basic level knowledge.

However I can clearly say that it's not a big issue to use current squid APIs\Interfaces(ICAP\ECAP) to implement a solution which will act like the nginx  "module".

I do not know how long it would take or how much it will cost since it requires time…

This time is required for:

- Learning\Relearning

- Identifying and predicting the different cases

- Basic testing for the different cases

- Implementing a basic structure

- Testing

- (In a loop and\or couple trees…)

>From my point of view compared to "ransom" or any similar idea, anyone that will write any piece of software to implement this specific idea should be able to take on his shoulders more then only this but more then just this.

And just to illustrate, imagine that some nice guy pops into Boing or RedHat offices and will leave a DiskOnKey at the front desk with a note "This flash drive contains an idea that will bring you lots of money"(not saying the current idea itself is bad or wrong..).

What would these companies do? Will they put a team of engineers in a second?

I do believe that they are not "hot headed" enough to act in a second.

I received a link couple years ago from Amos for an e-cap module:

https://github.com/creamy/ecap-mongo

Which does couple very interesting things but, despite to the fact that I learned to program in C and C++ I couldn't understand and\or implement a Store API which could be used for\by squid.

However I implemented this:

Windows Updates a Caching Stub zone[ http://www1.ngtech.co.il/wpe/?page_id=301 ]

And while implementing the idea one of the main things I noticed is that trying to "catch" all traffic into disk is the wrong way to define a goal.

Indeed it can be written to be done "automatically" but I will ask:
What is it worth to write everything into disk if you never read from disk more then 1% of the files content?

If you have a specific targeted site it's one thing but trying to catch them all is kind of like tying your feet with a rope to a door and then shove\slam the door to the other direction.
Imagine yourself how far and fast you will fly?

Thanks,

Eliezer

----

 <http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/> Eliezer Croitoru