[squid-users] Seeking insight into zeros, negative values in log: 2.6.STABLE18

Henry S. Thompson ht at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 13:03:49 UTC 2016

Amos wrote:
> HST wrote:

>>> The system clock on your machine went backwards between the request
>>> arriving and the response being completely sent. Check for issues in
>>> your NTP setup.
>>
>> 1000s of times a day?  Seems . . . unlikely.  But I'll try to get the
>> sys admin people responsible to investigate.
>
> Squid's simply doing a time fetch from the kernel and subtracting
> Start-time from End-time to get a negative.
> Note that its on the scale of ~100 milliseconds.

Sorry but I still don't see how two successive fetchs could result in a
decrement (w/o an NTP intervention).

The negative numbers I'm seeing range up into the low 1000s (of msec,
right?  That's what the squid documentation says, IIRC).

Did you really mean "~100 _milliseconds_"?  My understanding was that
kernel time differences were typically accurate to ~100 _nanoseconds_.

If you can easily tell me where to look in the source, obviously that's
what I should do....

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at inf.ed.ac.uk