[squid-users] Squid performance not able to drive a 1Gbps internet link

Paul van Tuel paul at it.alliedpress.co.nz
Wed Aug 3 02:37:37 UTC 2016

Hi All,
We've been running Squid for many years. Recently we upgraded our
internet link to a 1Gbps link, but we are finding that squid is not able
to drive this link to its full potential (previous links have been
30Mbps or 100Mbps).
Currently running squid 3.5.1, but have tried 3.4, 3.3, 3.2 versions too.

Upload speeds from the server (without using the local proxy) to the
internet are 200-300Mbps
Download speeds from the server (without using the local proxy) to the
internet are 300-600Mbps (the link is not guaranteed).

If we use squid (or tinyproxy) to upload a file the upload speed is
varies from 15-50Mbps.
If we use squid (or tinyproxy) to download a file from the internet, the
speeds varies from 80-115Mbps.

We have used various combinations of hardware:
* Dell Power Edge T300, 2950 with SSD or SAS disks. Both using
bare-metal or VMWare ESXi. Quad-core 2.6GHz Xeon processors with 8G or
16G RAM
* We have used windows 7 Pro, Ubuntu, Centos 6, Centos 7 each as
bare-metal and as VM under ESXi.
* We have used a white box (Asus motherboard with 1Gbps NIC, i7, 16G
RAM) with each of the above OSes in bare-metal installations.

Squid configuration has basically been the out-of-the-box sample file
with no authentication enabled. Only one user testing the performance of
the squid proxy. The server is pretty much idle.

Each time the result is the same - if we go direct to the internet
without using the local proxy the speed is as we would expect. If we use
the local proxy, the speed drops significantly.
Is this expected behaviour? Or is there something we can do to speed
up/tune squid's performance? I would be expecting squid to utilise the
full bandwidth available (similar to what the server can download if you
do not use a proxy).

Thank you
Paul.