[squid-users] Regex optimization

Alfredo Rezinovsky alfrenovsky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:32:38 UTC 2016

I saw in debug log that when an ACL has many regexes each one is compared
sequentially.

If I have

www.facebook.com
facebook.com
www.google.com
google.com

If will be faster to check just ONE optimized regex like
(www\.)?(facebook|google).com than the previous three?

I'm really talking about optimizing about 3000 url regexes in one huge
regex because comparing each and every url to 3000 regexes is too slow.

I know using
(www\.facebook\.com)|(facebook\.com)|(www\.google\.com)|(google\.com) with
PCRE will produce the same optimized result as
(www\.)?(facebook|google)\.com. Squid uses GnuRegex. Does GNURegex lib
optimizes this as well ?

--
Alfrenovsky