[squid-users] Is it possible to log request's proxy hostname in the access log?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Apr 21 20:26:35 UTC 2016

On Thursday 21 April 2016 at 22:21:15, Ser de Bronce wrote:

> I have a squid server that can be accessed from multiple subdomains.
> For example, user A does a proxy request on "aaa.myproxy.com" and user B on
> "bbb.myproxy.com"
> Is it possible to log which subdomain was requested by the user?

No, because DNS resolves both hostnames to the IP address of your proxy, and
the requests are then sent to that IP address.  The requests contain no
information about the hostname which the client thought the proxy should have.

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

 - Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.