[squid-users] Not sure if reverse proxy is what I need

Renato renatoriolino at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:13:03 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if squid is what I need, so I'll try to explain my
scenario to make it clear what I need:

I have lots of virtual machines, each one running a web service.
Those virtual machines are not exposed to the internet.

To access the virtual machines, I want to have a "client database",
each client will have an username, a password and the IP address and
port number for the virtual machine, like this:

client1, pass_cli1, http://192.168.0.1:8081
client2, pass_cli2, http://192.168.0.1:8082
client3, pass_cli3, http://192.168.0.1:8083
client4, pass_cli4, http://192.168.0.2:8081

What I'm thinking of doing is to let squid exposed to the internet,
with authentication.  When a client connects, a login/password is
asked.  If the login/pass matches one of the clients on the list,
squid will reverse proxy to the corresponding address on database.

Is it possible to achieve this only with squid or I need others tools too?

Thanks

Renato Riolino