[squid-users] remove old data manually

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 30 10:34:19 UTC 2015

On 30/09/2015 11:09 p.m., HackXBack wrote:
> by default squid remove old data by this directive

Firstly, two things wrong in your statement.

1) "by default" - implies an alternative. Removal of data is not a
default to be configured, it is the way things are done in caches.

2) "old" - is relative to "now". Everything in the cache is 'old' simply
because its from the past.

These directives purge the *oldest* data, that may be months old or
_seconds_ old. And they only do so when the cache starts to run out of
storage space.

> cache_swap_low 90
> cache_swap_high 95
>
> the question now, how i can remove these data manually ?

Secondly; Why?

 Any object could be a HIT at any time. Just that other things are more
useful _right now_. That is why the objects are kept in cache as long as
possible (until the pressure of newer object actively push them out).

To answer your question. The purge tool is designed for manual cache
operations. Aka purge, squidpurge or squid-purge depending on distrbutor.

I am not familiar enough with it to know if it can identify the LRU
objects specifically. But it can at least be used to purge some
selection of objects and reduce the cache current size.

You will need Squid configured to accept the PURGE method to use the tool.