[squid-users] Streaming Radio blocked

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Sep 27 23:33:32 UTC 2015

On 28/09/2015 9:12 a.m., Yuri Voinov wrote:

> It not seems blocked.
>
> Blocked URL has TCP_DENIED tag.

Unless the media portion is not even using HTTP. The problem would then
be somewhere else outside Squid.

> phone. The
> squid then
> (tunein.com).
> however

The only problem in this log seems to be the request above. Which is
apparently successfully getting put through to the required server, but
the client aborts it after 4 seconds with only a tiny/3KB amount of
response getting back.

When I try it myself I get an ICY stream back. Squid does support those.
At least 3.1 and later do, if you are using an older Squid you *really*
need to upgrade.

There is a chance that your ISP or some device upstream is blocking the
traffic. Since its aparently getting the response, but not much I
suspect MTU issues somewhere. The HTTP reply headers would get through
as small packets, but the media itself may need large ones that get dropped.

There is a huge amount of advertising being thrown at the client. It
might be spending all its time processing that and not get around to the
actual content you want. Try adding this to squid.conf to eliminate that
and see if things work better:

 acl ads dstdomain ads-bidder-api.twitter.com \
      .google-analytics.com ads.tunein.com ads.mopub.com
 http_access deny ads

The site also has a bunch of HTTP violations:

 * Pragma: no-cache is a request directive, not a response directive.
 * A ranged request returned another representation.
 * The X-XSS-Protection header's syntax isn't valid.
 * Response is negotiated, but doesn't have an appropriate Vary header.
 * The resource doesn't send Vary consistently.

While these are only from the web pages and images of the site they are
bad signs about the developers abilities.