[squid-users] squid with SMP registeration time out when i use 10K opened sessions

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Sep 24 20:39:25 UTC 2015

On 25/09/2015 8:26 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 09/24/2015 02:10 PM, Ahmad Alzaeem wrote:
>
>> If I use 2k ips with 2 worker , squid works ok If I use 10kbports without SMP , squid is ok
>> With 10K  + 2 workers , we have reg timeout
>
> The bigger (workers * ports) product is, the more likely you are to run
> out of the UDS buffer space because unpatched Squid workers request
> sharing of all http_ports at once.
>

>> error: "net.local.dgram.recvspace" is an unknown key
>
> Sorry, I do not know what that option is called in your environment.
>

>> if process # 1 , I give it ports 3K If process # 2 , I give it 3
>> K And so on ....will that success ??
>
> I am not sure, but I suspect that you will get different workers
> listening on different ports, without sharing. It is not a configuration
> SMP Squid was designed for, and workers will still send UDS requests to
> share their ports (a worker does not know whether other workers are
> using its port). It does not hurt to try.

I would just add that if you are able to do this then you should also be
able to use a multi-tenant design to scale your Squid horizontally.

PS. Since you are obviously building a custom Squid to get past the 128
listening sockets limit anyway. Please do your building with the latest
3.5 series release. The -n option in current 3.5 will let you do
multi-tenant easily.