[squid-users] best practices for setting up large proxy server

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Sep 4 07:44:08 UTC 2015

On 4/09/2015 3:42 p.m., Jason Enzer wrote:
> not a popular topic i guess. can anyone point in the right direction
> for setting up multiple squid instances on centos 6.6?

Oh its fairly popular. I imagine those types just dont like to talk
about their configs much in public. Anonymity and all that being what it is.

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Jason Enzer wrote:
>> if i had 250+ ip addresses and wanted to run a large anonymous proxy
>> server what is the best practice? i know there is a 128 port limit on
>> squid and i can increase max http port setting and rebuild squid. is
>> that best practice?

You need to define specifically and clearly what you want the proxy to
be doing. There is anonymity ... and then there is privacy. Often
confused, but at the technical level very different beasts and different
ethical and legal implications as well.

>> should i run multiple instances of squid on same server?

The limit is there for performance reasons. Todays CPUs, or in
particular the ones you have may or may not have trouble with higher
values. So doing your own experiments may be worth it.

Or you may want to run several instances anyway with the -n named
service feature just on principle for high availability.

>> i have a quad core i5 3.1ghz with 16GB ram running centos 6.6

Good luck.

PS. when you are dealing with privacy, anonymity and such you *will* be
hacked at some point. If only to give the attacker free access through
your service. The traditional admin principles of using old stable
systems like RHEL/CentOS can be thrown out the window. 'stable' really
means 'full of 0-day nobody told the distro team about'. What you need
is an OS which is being kept up with the latest releases of any software
(0-day really are unknown, or fixed fast) and by a team focused
specifically on security protections. The Hurd, OpenBSD and GrSecurity
Linux groups are the names most spoken about in that area, you may find
others.