[squid-users] refresh_pattern and same objects

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 2 18:48:05 UTC 2015

On 3/09/2015 3:04 a.m., Yuri Voinov wrote:

> Here is another case with the same image:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/qM52aPQ.png
>
> The same, right?
>
> So, I proposed to leave thousands of copies of the same image, even
> within a single user session, just because someone is afraid once again
> to cache? And I know that the site in question, works perfectly and 100%
> functional?
>
> Don't think so.

No arguments about that particular site. You found, what you found.

But that is also what I keep saying to people, investigate each case and
be sure about it first. The pattern you created from this one site was
applied *everywhere* all at once. Nobody knows what its broken already,
or about to.

So best way is to create a pattern for the site and any others you find
using the same software. Maybe you could sniff the Server headers or
something to identify a common CMS system doing this and apply the
pattern to its outputs. Lots of captures but still less than _everywhere_.