[squid-users] refresh_pattern and same objects

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 14:58:42 UTC 2015

Here is an example.

Look at this three screenshots.

First. Two images requested by one client at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/JbMhTQ4.png

This is the same image:
http://i.imgur.com/4khcCOT.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ya58kfG.png

Agree?

And - image is too small to contains any functional payload. Agree? So,
argument is simple random value to suppress caching. Right?

So, will cache or remains uncached?

Will cache with store-ID:

http://i.imgur.com/ZZmOMKz.png

What I'm doing wrong?

02.09.15 16:23, Eliezer Croitoru пишет:
> On 02/09/2015 13:00, Yuri Voinov wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting a very high hit ratio in my cache.And I do not intend to
>> lower its with myself. Enough and that on the opposite side of the
>> thousands of webmasters counteract caching their content on its own
>> grounds. Beginning from YouTube.
>
> Well, Most sane server side caches do allow and work with a 304
validation and in many cases it's good.
> Notice that I have not seen an access.log analyzer that counts
re-validation successfully until now.
> I do not know what the situation of your bandwidth usage or needs but
there is a term which called "over caching" and it depends on the
environment.
> If you see that the cache is working for you with higher numbers then
30% consider that your cache maybe is caching more then the standard cache.
> I am pretty sure that a domain analysis can find the more accurate
refresh_patterns that can leave you with high cache hit ratio and still
make the cache less vulnerable to config mistakes.

> Maybe clients didn't complained until now but it doesn't states that
they do not have any issues. It's just that they didn't got to you yet.
> If you are using 3.4.X and up you are in a better place then in 3.2.X
and older version so squid should be safe enough for a very ambitious
config file.