[squid-users] Getting updated squid builds (Debian)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 2 01:03:15 UTC 2015

On 2/09/2015 10:30 a.m., Tarot Apprentice wrote:
> Is there an easier way of getting updated builds on Debian?
>
> The Jessie (stable) repo has 3.4.8 in it. Even Stretch (testing/next release) has 3.4.8 in it. Only the experimental version is up to date with 3.5.7. Is the only option to build your own to get a current release?

Right now yes.

Though its not really a true 3.4.8 in Jesse or Stretch. It has been
patched up to parity with the latest 3.4 release. So the only reason to
update to 3.5 is the new features.

Normally at this point I would outline how to add unstable repos to your
sources.list and cross-install a package. But Unstable is earning its
name this month with a large scale migration from GCC-4 to GCC-5. So the
3.5.7 package is not only stuck where it is for a few more weeks/months,
but also not cross-installable.

There is also a squid3->squid package rename underway in the 3.5.7
package. Making it a difficult to install the .deb from self-builds of
the newer squid3-3.5.7 source package.

So unless you are comfortable with building from upstream tarballs to
overwrite your system packaged binary you may want to wait and see for a
bit longer.