[squid-users] Inconsistent accessing of the cache, craigslist.org images, wacky stuff.

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 17:31:00 UTC 2015

On 29/10/2015 4:06 a.m., Jester Purtteman wrote:

> [...]

max-age=0 from client means "dont use whatever you have cached. Always
go to the server for new content.".
The rest you got.

Are you using the reload or refresh button in your testing? that is
expected to cause that max-age value.

If it is just sending that all the time anyway we will need to update
our hacks.

> So getting lazy and using 8.8.8.8 because I don't have to remember which server I installed bind or dnsmasq on has finally come back to haunt me...  I actually had a nightmare of a time getting another system working over the same problem, I'm giving this a rating of highly plausible.  I'll revise the structure, if that fixes the issue, I'll let you know.

Introducing auto-configuration :-)

You don't have to configure Squid with dns_nameservers at all these
days. If you omit it entirely Squid will load the systems resolv.conf
and use whatever resolver(s) are in there.

>>> So, big question, what debug level do I use to see this thing making
>>> decisions on whether to cache, and any tips anyone has about this
>>> would be appreciated.  Thank you!
>>
>> debug_options 85,3 22,3
>>

> I have used 22,3 which I gleaned from another post on this list, I find a lot of this in my cache.log:
>
>  2015/10/27 18:23:18.402| ctx: enter level  0: 'http://images.craigslist.org/00707_cL1v48AjUBR_300x300.jpg'
> 2015/10/27 18:23:18.402| 22,3| http.cc(328) cacheableReply: NO because e:=p2XDIV/0x24afa00*3 has been released.
> 2015/10/27 18:23:18.409| ctx: exit level  0
>
> I'll let you know if fixing DNS takes that out.

Hmm. I'm interested now. Will look that up when I have time later.