[squid-users] Using Digests to reduce traffic between peers, Parent - Sibling configuration question

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 27 12:56:43 UTC 2015

On 27/10/2015 5:14 p.m., Jester Purtteman wrote:
> So, here's my theory:  Setup <expensive-server> so that it caches
> EVERYTHING, all of it, and catalogs it with this Digest.  It doesn't expire
> anything, ever, the only way something gets released from that cache is when
> the drive starts running out of room.  It's digest is then sent to
> <cheap-server>, which doesn't cache ANYTHING, NOTHING.  When a request comes
> through from a client, <Expensive-Server> checks the refresh rules, and if
> it isn't too stale it gets served just like it does now, but if it IS
> expired, it then asks <Cheap-Server> "hey, how expired is this?" and
> <Cheap-Server> (which has all the bandwidth it could ever want) grabs the
> content, and digests it.  If the digest for the new retrieval matches
> something in the digest sent by <expensive-server>, then <cheap-server>
> sends up a message that says "it's still fresh, the content was written by
> lazy people or idiots, carry on".

You just described what HTTP/1.1 revalidation requests do. In your logs
as REFRESH_*. Though they have to send HTTP headers around to get it to
work, which is a little more expensive than the Digest would be, the
result is far more reliable and accurate.

The Cache Digest is just a one-way hash of the URL entries in the cache
index. It is for reducing ICP queries to a peer proxy (ie the frontend
cheap server). If you dont have a cache at both end of the conection it
is not useful. And like ICP it is full of false matches when used with
modern HTTP/1.1.