[squid-users] The url_rewriter helpers are crashing too rapidly

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Oct 26 15:03:05 UTC 2015

On 27/10/2015 3:42 a.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Try to disable squidGuard and see if it solves the issue.
> Maybe a bad update for squidguard caused some issue with the startup of
> the helper.
> Also try to run the same command that is being used by squid to start
> squidGuard in order to start and debug the issue.
>
> Eliezer
>
> * squid 2.7 is not supported anymore and I was pretty sure that SUSE 11
> SP3 supply a newer version of squid.

Correct. SUSE 11 came with Squid-3.1.

And, SUSE 12 was out with Squid-3.3 a whole year ago tomorrow.

Neither is great by our current standards (3.5), but still miles ahead
of 2.7.

> On 26/10/2015 16:28, Funke, Martin wrote:
>> 2015/10/26 14:55:02| helperOpenServers: Starting 25 'squidGuard'
>> processes
>> (squidGuard): invalid option -- 's'
>>
>> I hope someone can give some hints.

Squid is already giving you huge hints:

 "(squidGuard): invalid option -- 's'"

I'm also minded that the only changes anyone has published for
squidGuard in the last few years were my release of patches to make it
handle Squid-3.2+ helper protocol. Any Squid older than 3.2 will have
horrible problems if passed responses from a SG patched with those. They
were only ever intended for use to make SG compatible with a Squid
upgrade to 3.4+.