[squid-users] Squid4 has extremely low hit ratio due to lacks of ignore-no-cache

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun Oct 25 20:15:17 UTC 2015

On 25/10/2015 21:28, Yuri Voinov wrote:
> It's not about that. It's about the fact that, with exactly the same
> parameters caching and maintaining the cache at the same URL, which I
> used to get 85% cache hit, I am now, with a SQUID 4, I get 0%. That's all.

OK then, if it's that important for you and it worth money for the
business you are running\working for think about writing an ECAP module
or an ICAP service that will do this same thing and sometimes will do
more then you are asking for.

I didn't mentioned this before but you if you are using a non tproxy
environment you can use two squid instances to get the same effect.
You would be able to asses the network stress you have and decide which
of the solution is for you.
Maybe you are already know the article I wrote at:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/Coordinator
Which you can use to use a similar thing.

 From my side of the picture I think you are over-simplifying the issue.
I cannot speak for everyone and I know that there are other opinions
about this subject and similar other but, I can say for sure that from
what I have seen, squid have had many issues which resulted from the
basic fact the it was something like a "geany in lamp" project which
many just asked for something they needed.
If you do not know, some literally *hate* squid.
One of the reasons is that it has a huge list of open bugs which are
waiting for someone to find them attractive enough to write a patch for
them.

And yes with exactly the same parameters which resulted in 85% cache hit
you are now getting 0% like you should have been.
I am not sure how many users are happy with this change and I encourage
others to write their opinions and ideas about it.

I am staying with my suggestions for a set of solutions for the specific
issue.

I am not the greatest squid programmer but if someone will fund my time
I will might be able to write a module that will do just what you and
maybe others want. And if I might add that it's like in any other
software, you have an API and you can use it. if you think it's
important file a bug and send your question to the squid-dev list with
hope that you will get some answers even if these will not be to your
liking.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

* Somebody told me on squid once something like "I am sharing your
sorrow" while I was very happy with it.