[squid-users] Is Websocket support planned?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Oct 22 11:16:09 UTC 2015

On 23/10/2015 12:01 a.m., Christophe Donatsch wrote:
> Dear squid-users,
>
> Our infrastructure rely on squid as a reverse-proxy to serve most of our web
> applications. Our tests show that squid won't correctly handle an HTTP request
> to initiate a WebSocket connection. We'd like to know if we are missing
> something, or if the support of WebSocket is planned in the future.

Squid explicit/forward proxy should relay the WebSockets CONNECT request
to upstream WebSockets servers just fine.

In all other cases Squid should be negotiating that HTTP/1.1 be used
instead of WebSockets. That is one of several proper outcomes from
protocol negotiation. It is also the correct outcome given that Squid is
an HTTP proxy, not a TCP or SOCKS proxy, and does not have native
WebSockets support.