[squid-users] Fwd: http get requests to squid with relative path

Gianluca Bergamo gianluca.bergamo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 10:16:19 UTC 2015

Hi Amos,

Thank you for the support.
This is my squid.conf
http://pastebin.com/hNmnck27

We use squid as external access to hosts services (port 80) that are in a
vpn, so this should be the classical use of a reverse proxy.

What do you think?
Thank you.

Gian

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
wrote:

> On 16/10/2015 9:23 p.m., Gianluca Bergamo wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've just discovered that making requests to our reverse proxy using a
> > Vodafone umts connection does not work.
> > I get a bad request, and the problem is that in the http header the GET
> > line does not include the full path but just the relative one. The
> "Host:"
> > parameter in the header is ok and it contains the host address.
> > If I make the request using different internet mobile providers I have no
> > problems, so it seems it's something with Vodafone that strips the url!
> >
> > In the RFC 2616 (chapter 5.1.2) they say:
> > "The absoluteURI form is REQUIRED when the request is being made to a
> > proxy. "
> >
> > So, is there a way with Squid 3.4 (or newer versions) to solve or
> > workaround this problem?
>
> RFC 2616 is obsolete. HTTP is now governed by RFC 7230-7235.
>
> You said this was a reverse-proxy. The rules for reverse-proxy are the
> same as the rules for origin servers, not the rules for proxies.
> That includes the relevance of RFC 7230 section 5.3.1.
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-5.3>
>
> So either you *dont* have a reverse-proxy, or the problem is something
> other than what you think.
>
> Amos

As we grow older we grow both more foolish and wiser at the same time.