[squid-users] Custom PAYLOAD for 404 webserver response

SaRaVanAn saravanan.nagarajan87 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 00:17:02 UTC 2015

Hi All,
With the help of Squid I want to return a custom payload for 404 response
returned from web server. I have configured below acl to achieve the same

acl denied_status_404 http_status 404
deny_info  http://errorpage.com denied_status_404

with the above configuration squid is sending 302 redirection to client
browser . But I want squid to retain the same http status code (404) when
responds back.
Basically I want to modify  only the payload of the webserver response with
same 404 status code.
I know this can be achieved in squid version 3.2. But our server is running
with squid version 3.1.20 . Is there any way we can achieve this in squid
3.1?

Does the below configuration work?

acl denied_status_404 http_status 404 rep_mime_type -i ^text/html
deny_info  http://errorpage.com denied_status_404

Now squid the squid is spoofing all the 404 responses irrespective of
content type(html/javascript). I don't want squid to spoof the 404 response
received from API payload.
Does squid classify the difference between a webpage and API payload?

Regards,
Saravanan N