[squid-users] Cache_dir NULL

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Oct 3 05:18:56 UTC 2015

On 3/10/2015 12:25 a.m., Job wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i was trying the "null" storage module in Squid 3.4.x.

It does not exist.

Squid-3 does proper memory-only caching by default. Just erase or
comment out all cache_dir lines in your config and it works.

> I have some systems with huge users and with high traffic peaks expecially during the morning.
>
> We use Squid to filter internet traffic.
>
> Do you think that enabling the cache_dir null will give us better performances and less system usage?

RAM is faster than disk. This is a bast fact of I/O.

Eliminating the disk from the proxying system changes the I/O needs.
Whether that switch is a latency gain or loss depends on your traffic.

If your network is faster than the disks you were using; then it may
have some gain, otherwise not.