[squid-users] 32bit (i386) squid 3.5 cache dir size limit?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Nov 30 11:28:57 UTC 2015

On 30/11/2015 11:59 p.m., TarotApprentice wrote:
> I am setting up a backup proxy server using an old P4 machine which
> can only do 32bit. As its only got 1Gb of RAM its not going to hit
> the 32bit limit on memory, but what about the cache_dir? Is it
> limited to 32bit addressability (ie 4Gb) max size?

No. It should still be capable of using a larger cache_dir size. The
32-bit limits apply on a per-file basis (unless large-file support has
been built in).

That is governed by whether 64-bit integer variables are available for
the size accounting, whether Squid has been built with large-file
support (to handle large individual files in the cache), and the
absolute 2^27-1 limit on object count.

You may encounter some odd values coming out of SNMP etc statistics
though. Not all the reporting is bit-agnostic yet.