[squid-users] Help! Squid Host header rewriting

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Nov 19 12:02:09 UTC 2015

On 20/11/2015 12:12 a.m., LauranceKuo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I met the same problem as the below link:
> http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Squid-Host-header-rewriting-td1036929.html
>
>    GET http://194.137.237.63/uutiset/ HTTP/1.1\r\n
>    Host: www.hs.fi\r\n

That is a request for http://194.137.237.63/uutiset/.

It is *NOT* a request for http://www.hs.fi/uutiset/.

:: www.hs.fi has address 158.127.30.40

The sender is *lying*, and Squid knows it. Please read the response I
gave in that thread you quoted.

> ->
>
>    GET /uutiset/ HTTP/1.0\r\n
>    Host: 194.137.237.63\r\n
>
> With new version of Squid, is there a solution pass on the original Host
> header in this case? Thanks very much!

This is one of the fundamental fixes that Squid performs to keep the
Internet actually working reliably in the presence people placing
garbage into the Host header (stuff like that "www.hs.fi" lie). It is
mandatory. Sorry.

>From the fact that the output header says "HTTP/1.0" I deduce that you
are using a very outdated Squid version. Please upgrade. Squid has been
HTTP/1.1 compliant for many years now.