[squid-users] Mutual Authentication Support

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Nov 18 11:23:54 UTC 2015

On 18/11/2015 11:45 p.m., Mohammad Asif wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problem configuring mutual authentication with squid server.
> Can you please tell me which squid server version support mutual
> authentication and what is procedure to enable it.

Short answer is "no". Longer answer below.

> Currently I am using squid server 2.0.

Um, are you talking about some product called "squid server" ? or "Squid
HTTP Caching Proxy" ?

Squid-2.0.RELEASE1 was released in Oct 1998. So if you are actually
using one of those, it is about 18 years overdue for an upgrade.
If that was a typo of Squid-3.0 it still desperately needs an upgrade.
4.0 is in beta at present.

As for this authentication, you are the first person to mention it in
these circles. So no, Squid does not support it natively (yet).

But Squid is capable of performing almost any type of authentication as
a side-band authorization by an external ACL helper. So if you would
explain which of the *6* very different authentication systems/schemes
that all call themselves "mutual authentication" you are talking about a
solution might be forthcoming.

If it is important, you might also consider sponsoring someone to
develope a patch to get included with future Squid so you dont have to
use hacks and workarounds for long.