[squid-users] affinity session load balancing

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Nov 16 10:49:29 UTC 2015

On Monday 16 November 2015 at 11:32:31, Patrick Chemla wrote:

> I am doing load balancing as sourcehash, so on IP source.
>
> The problem is that about 80% of clients come from the same IP, so I
> have a highly loaded backend, while other are sleeping.
>
> So whatever you call it, on haproxy they call it session affinity LB,
> my need is to use a round-robin load balancing, but, very important,
> each user should always directed to the same backend.

So, the question remains "how do you identify a session?" (or maybe you could
rephrase it as "how do you identify a user?").

> Can we do that with squid? avoiding user login on squid (userhash is not
> convenient)?

You've already said that source IP is not a reliable indication of the user
(and this is very often true anyway), so what additional information exists in
the requests to identify a session / user?

Without knowing what application you're dealing with, we can't guess this for
ourselves.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.