[squid-users] disable/enable user accounts--please help

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Nov 13 00:00:18 UTC 2015

On 13/11/2015 12:22 p.m., Ramos-Estevez, Abraham wrote:
> Squid beginner seeking help with disabling users in Squid for testing
> purposes.
>
> Basically testing on  a client that uses a squid http proxy and
> requires users to submit proxy credentials. I would like to know if
> test proxy credentials can be disabled to validate the error message
> from the client.

I assume you mean you want to see what happens when invalid credentials
are sent. To do that, you have the client send invalid credentials to
the proxy.

In HTTP authentication credentials have to be re-sent on every request.
So simply sending a request with invalid/incorrect ones is enough to
trigger the 407 message at any time you want.

Note: NTLM authentication does not obey the rules for HTTP
authentication. You also have to disable persistent client connections
to do this particular test. That is not a good thing to do in production
though, so the test is not a useful behaviour test.

> I checked some of the info here, but can't make sense of it
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Authentication
>
> Squid Server info:
>
> Squid 3.0 Stable 19
> Ubuntu linux server 10.04.1
> Turnkey linux-webmin console 1.520 (disabling users here does not work)

Please upgrade if you can. That software is all over 5 years old.