[squid-users] Pass client DNS requests

Mike mcsnv96 at afo.net
Wed Nov 11 16:41:11 UTC 2015

> On 10.11.15 17:03, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> Again I'm fairly new to Squid but loving it. We enforce only certain
>> domains
>> be accessible via the whitelist directive. Is there a way to pass DNS
>> requests through the proxy for resolution? We are currently using
>> Windows
>> host entries. L
>
> no. Squid is a HTTP proxy. it's not a DNS proxy.
> use DNS server or DNS proxy for that.

Squid cannot, but you can use an external DNS server, either at the same
location or elsewhere.
You can setup another server (or two) with your own DNS (we use PowerDNS
or pDNS), and then add the entry in squid.conf to use that DNS server.
We have several setup this way.

The squid.conf entry would be like this:

dns_nameservers 11.22.33.44 11.22.33.45

Then on the DNS server just create entries for rerouted or blocked
sites. I would suggest looking at the powerdns groups and mailing list
for more details on this.

Mike