[squid-users] Subject: Re: authentication of every GET request from part of URL?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Nov 8 14:59:14 UTC 2015

On 11/08/2015 06:34 AM, Sreenath BH wrote:

> Is there a way for me to invoke some custom code for every request
> that Squid receives?

Yes, there are several interfaces, including a built-in ACL, an external
ACL helper, a URL rewriter, an eCAP/ICAP service. Roughly speaking, the
former ones are easier to use and the latter ones are more powerful.

> That script would do the following:
>
> 1. Extract part of the URL(the token) and look up in a database to see
> if it is valid.
>     If valid, proceed to lookup cached object, other wise go to
> back-end fetch, etc.
> 2. If the token is not found in database, return with an error, so
> that Squid can send back a not found type (some HTTP error) of
> response.

If the above are your requirements, avoid the word "authentication"
might help. It confuses people into thinking you want something far more
complex.

The validation in step #1 can be done by an external ACL. However, you
probably forgot to mention that the found token should be removed from
the URL. To edit the URL, you need to use a URL rewriter or an eCAP/ICAP
service.

Everything else can be done by built-in ACLs unless you need to serve
very custom error messages. In the latter case, you will need an eCAP or
ICAP service.

However, if "go to back-end fetch" means loading response from some
storage external to Squid without using HTTP, then you need an eCAP or
ICAP service to do that fetching.

I recommend that you clarify these parts of your specs:

What do you want to do when the token is not found in the URL?

What do you want to do when an invalid token is found in the URL?

Will sending a response using a simple template filled with some basic
request details suffice when a valid token is not found in the database?

HTH,

Alex.