[squid-users] caching issues - caching traffic from another proxy, and caching https traffic

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Nov 5 17:29:56 UTC 2015

On 6/11/2015 4:47 a.m., John Smith wrote:
> Amos,
>
> Thanks (again) very much for the reply.
> The news does not surprise me at all, but I needed to ask the questions.
>
> Let's assume I could require a different port for http and https, and
> cleaned up the squid configurations like we did privately for http.  How
> hard would it be to solve either caching problem at that point?  Would that
> solve problem #1 without taking any further action?

Yes, at that point the caching would just work. Modulo any tuning you
want to do.

>  At that point, how
> hard would it be to implement ssl-bump?

No more or less hard than it is for anyone else. Still a PITA, but possible.

You would just need to be careful that the connections between the
layers of proxies remains encrypted all the way through your system.
Squid does not support sending secure content out over plain-text links.