[squid-users] Outgoing IPv6 address with no IPv4 address access

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Nov 2 01:07:06 UTC 2015

Hey Robert,

It is really unclear what you need or want(at least to me).
The basic way that the routing world works is that if you try to access
an IPV4 address is by using the IPV4 routing world.
It means that you need to use an IPV4 address to access IPV4 resources
or networks.

I remember talks here and there about making it possible from a routing
and networking aspect of things to be able to use an IPV6 address to
access an IPV4 network. From what I know it requires some special
networking settings and special equipment\software.
In any case you would need somewhere in your setup a place which can
access either two stacks(IPV4+IPV6) or some other solution which I
suspect doesn't exist yet.

 From squid aspect it can interact the world with both IPV6 and IPV4
while the decision is based on the DNS response which is either an A
record or AAAA record.
If you would use an IPV6 DNS servers the answer would be the same for
both A and AAAA queries, V4 or V6..
The default from squid point of view is to use it's own IP address while
accessing the network unless you are using TPROXY.

What you see is how things should work.

All The Bests,
Eliezer Croitoru