[squid-users] Alternative ways of tracking users on unauthenticated proxy

Mr J Potter jpotter833 at because.org.uk
Mon May 25 08:38:38 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm setting up a system for using iPads in our school, and I'm stuck a bit
on tracking what the students are doing on them.

First up, I reaaly don't want a Pop-up login box from a 407 response from a
proxy server, so I'm looking for some other way to track who is doing what.

What i have set up so far is PacketFence with an SSL-bump transparent proxy
(I've put the CAs o all the ipads) which works well in that users have to
log in before they get internet access. This works (they get a web page,
login and get 50 minutes of internet before it disconnects them), but the
only way I have of tracking users is by working out who was on each ipad
(from packetfence) then matching it against squid logs, which is messy.

One plan I had would be to add/remove entries in dns or hosts for users,
eg  IP address 10.2.3.4   -> hostname  fbloggs  (the user's login code) so
usernames would show up in the client hostname field, but squid caches
these I think. Another option would be via iptables somehow.

Can anyone suggest any other possible workarounds for this?

thanks,

Jim Potter
Network Manager
Oasis Brislington (formerly Brislington Enterprise College)