[squid-users] Ssl-bump deep dive (properly creating certs)

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Sun May 24 16:25:42 UTC 2015

Hey all,

So....I'm sure those on the list have seen my posts a number of times,
usually all questions (sorry I'm not very helpful).  That being said,
whenever there is something I can't get to work right, or don't
understand as well as I think I should, I do kind of a deep dive into it
for about a month.  I'm going to do that now with Squid.  I have NEVER
gotten ssl-bump to work right.  I have it "sort of" working, but there
are some issues I want to address.

So I'm going to start from scratch in a lab environment using a VM as a
client, a physical machine with two nics that are bridged and run squid
as a transparent proxy, and a physical laptop as the server.

My first question is about properly creating the certs.  Looking at:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/SslBumpExplicit

this mentions using crtd, but as I understand it, crtd isn't supported
when using transparent proxies.  So, with no crtd, as I understand it
this is what I'll need:

Server:
Self-signed CA cert (pem) <- used as cafile= in https_port
Intermediate cert signed by the above self signed CA cert (pem) <- used
as cert= in https_port
Key file for the self-signed CA cert above (pem) <- used as key= in
https_port

Client:
Self-signed CA cert from above (pem) <- in /etc/ssl/certs for linux

Any help, advice, links that would assist in better understanding this
first step in ssl-bumping transparently would be wonderful.  Thank you.

James