[squid-users] Smart Delay Pools (I think)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun May 24 12:58:18 UTC 2015

On 24/05/2015 11:03 a.m., Oliver Webb wrote:
> I have a squid proxy acting as a parental filter on our LAN, however the traffic balancing is a problem. My question is: Is it possible to set up something that achieves this:
>
> NB:
>    Where I have referred to "users" I am refering to devices as I do not have any login system.
>    My internet speed here is assumed to be 10Mbps
>
> 1) When several users are browsing Wikipedia the burst downloads required, assuming the bursts occur 1 at a time, each burst gets the full internet bandwidth of ~10Mbps
>
> 2) When 2 or more users are downloading files the internet bandwidth gets divided equally i.e. each user gets 5Mbps when there are 2 concurrent large downloads and each user gets 3.33Mbps when there are 3 concurrent large downloads
>
> 3) When there are 2 concurrent large downloads occurring and third user wants to browse Wikipedia the burst downloads for Wikipedia momentarily change the bandwidth allocations so that while the Wikipedia page is download each user gets 3.33Mbps and once the page is downloaded the two large dowloads get back their 5Mbps each

The delay pools in Squid is not quite that smart / dynamic. Delay Pools
is a bandwidth cap with selected requests scheduled within each defined cap.

You can do both (1) and (2) with a single class 2 pool shared by the
entire LAN (1310720 Bps aggregate, 655360 Bbps individual), and a
delay_pools_access denying wikipedia domains being pooled by it.

But having (3) where transaction X changes pooling mid-way depending on
some unrelated transaction is simply not possible.