[squid-users] Need help debugging my squid configuration

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed May 13 07:34:09 UTC 2015

On 13/05/2015 3:25 a.m., Jose Torres-Berrocal wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I am new to Squid.  I have compiled squid 3.3.8 on Lubuntu 14.04.1
> system following the thread
>
> I have also turn on --enabled-ssl-crtd on the compilation rules.

The option alone is not enough to enable SSL support. Your version also
requires --enable-ssl

However, what you are trying to do has not worked in that version for
some years. When you want to participate in the arms race that is
SSL-Bump you must use the latest of the latest versions of Squid. Today
that is squid-3.5.4 snapshot r18325 or later.

> When starting squid terminates but does not provide much error
> information that I could go on an try to fix.
>
> I tried starting the squid with -X option in the startup script and
> adding debug_options to the configuration file, but still does not get
> any valuable information.  Not at least for me as a newbe.

-X will spew out so much information the critical piece gets lost.

* Ensure your Squid is built with both the above mentioned ./configure
options.

* Run squid -k parse

* Run normally. cache.log will contain any critical messages.
 - in this case I suspect a mesage from the ssl_crtd heleper about
initializing its certificate database.

* If necessary add "debugs_options ALL,1" to your squid.conf to get
non-critical but important messages as well.