[squid-users] Best solution for content filtering using squid?

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Thu May 7 20:10:45 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 04:49 PM, Bob Cochran wrote:
> On 05/07/2015 02:57 PM, Marcus Kool wrote:
>> did you look at ufdbGuard?
>
> Thank you.  I did look at it briefly and moved on when I saw that a paid license was required if a commercial product made use of it. Perhaps I'm wrong about this?

I would like to know where you read that...

The FAQ says that it is free.  ufdbGuard is Open Source Software and free to use.
You can use any text-based database _or_ opt for a license to the URL database of www.URLfilterDB.com

> We're looking for something that can be extended beyond what squidGuard offers and has an active developer community.  We want to do things like modify the database on the fly, switch on & off various
> blocks at will, and much more without having to reconfigure / restart.

seems you are looking for ufdbguard.
About "no reconfigure": ufdbGuard also needs to reconfigure when the config file or the URL database changes.
However, ufdbGuard reconfigures faster and without interrupting the proxy, so during a short interval
there is a functional proxy without filter.

Marcus