[squid-users] Different replacement policy for different filenames

Veiko Kukk vkukk at xvidservices.com
Thu May 7 13:54:56 UTC 2015

On 07/05/15 15:16, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 7/05/2015 11:16 p.m., Veiko Kukk wrote:
>> Is it possible to sort into cache_dir's based on filename (some regex
>> will do)? The result I'm trying to achieve is that certain files which
>> names are known, but size varies (and overlaps with other files) are
>> replaced with heap GDSF while all the other files are replaced with heal
>> LFUDA policy.
>>
>> Can this be done with squid?
>
> No. Replacement policy is a type of hash table for a cache_dir such that
> the single entry that is most obsolete can efficiently be found and
> discarded at the time point where cache runs out of space. The whole
> data structure for the cache_dir index is different for each mechanism.
>
> Why are you wanting this? What are you actually trying to do?
>
> Amos

Hi,

I'm trying to have different cache replacement policy for different
files, based on filename. To avoid bigger files pushing some smaller
files (more important files) out from cache in case of LFUDA and at the
same time have high byte hit rate for bigger files. I could achieve this
if squid could be configured to sort files based on filename/url into
different cache folders.

Best regards,
Veiko