[squid-users] mmap() in squid

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue Mar 31 18:03:01 UTC 2015

Hey Eugene,

Since I do not have the full details about the issue and related areas I
cannot answer and I think later others will answer this better then me.
But as for the last question about squid being a DB.
Squid in a way is also a DB like any OS is a DB.
Due to the fact that squid is kind of a DB, it's preferable for example
to use fast disks.
While squid is indeed a DB and has lots of functions, and while it is
also helps to cache there is always the question if you do use the cache
system properly.
Squid is there and is open to use and will probably be there for many years.
One of the big benefits that squid has compared to other products is
that you can try to understand any issue and get response from others
about almost any related issue.
 From my understanding SSD disks are one of the things which can help a
server work faster.
I have been asked couple times in the past about using SSD in production
systems for cache.
Indeed SSD helps for the system to run and once a system production test
has "ended" then and only then the actual production use can be the next
step.
If indeed one of your tests proved that this patch is production ready I
think that it might be worth to actually look at it.
Squid users list is the starter point but I am pretty sure that the
level of the subject is for squid development rather then for squid
users list while I found it interesting.

Thanks,
Eliezer