[squid-users] Squid not responding during file upload.

Saravanan Coimbatore scoimbatore at vormetric.com
Thu Mar 19 07:11:55 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I am using Squid 3.4 to inspect content that heads out to the cloud from enterprise. I have two c-icap filter that does the content inspection.

Observation:
- Upload 3000 1M files to cloud passes through successfully.
- Upload 300 40M files to cloud results in multiple failures. Some of errors: 400 Bad Request, Request Timed out..

Tcpdump of the 40MB file upload tests indicate the following:
- Boto client used to upload sends packet to squid proxy.
- Proxy does not acknowledge.
- Client sends the data again at least 6 times, Squid does not respond.
- After 20-25 seconds of this (where Squid did not send any data to cloud), Cloud storage vendor returns a "BAD Request" response.

Uploading 300 files seems to be a load that should be manageable by Squid. Can anyone guide me on how to optimize Squid for the above scenario? Are there any performance parameters that I can tweak so Squid handles this correctly?

Thanks,
Saravanan