[squid-users] v3.5.x RPM for CentOS 6

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Mar 18 20:11:46 UTC 2015

Hey List,

Sorry but it takes time(for me) to test squid 3.5.
I have built a testing beta of 3.5 for CentOS 7 but yet to publish it
officially.

Since you have asked, then the main issue is that RH RPM auto building
tools helps to find dependencies and there for most of the helpers
need\requires EPEL repositories.
Due to this fact I have separated squid "core" and "helpers" into
different packages.

The pinger is part of the "core" squid package and one of the tests I
ran on the 6 branch that the pinger would get suid flaged since it
"needs" it or rather the OS "requires" it since it handles ICMP.

For most regular setups pinger is not needed to make the service work
and serve the clients.
If your setup requires it then you will need to enable suid or else you
can disable pinger using "pinger_enable off" also look at:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/pinger_enable/

"chmod u+s /path/pinger" should be the correct suid set command (and I
think that if you ask about it then you probably don't need it).

Eliezer