[squid-users] Refresh ACL list only

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Tue Mar 17 19:13:30 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 02:59 PM, Samuel Anderson wrote:
> Unfortunately thats not really an option for me. I've already built everything just using squid. It works great and does everything I need it to do with the exception of refreshing the ACL lists. I
> just need to find a way to refresh those single lists without disrupting Internet traffic to the users. If anyone knows how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

I understand that you are looking into the haproxy reconfig where
the load balancing is temporarily switched off and the following states exist:

1  load balance using squid1 and squid2
2  load balancer: use squid1 only for new connections and wait up to a few hours until all existing connections through squid2 terminate
3  squid2: squid -k reconfigure and wait 35 seconds
4  load balancer: use squid2 only for new connections and wait up to a few hours until all existing connections through squid1 terminate
5  squid1: squid -k reconfigure and wait 35 seconds
6  load balance using squid1 and squid2

If the waiting in state 2 and state 4 takes too long, you might want to consider ufdbGuard.
It not only does a reconfigure in a few seconds, it also does it independently of Squid and
does not interrupt service at all since it has a configuration option to respond with
'allow all' during a reconfiguration.

Marcus