[squid-users] Captive Portal authentication in Intercept mode

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Fri Mar 13 09:03:01 UTC 2015

Hey,

I have written a basic idea with a php "login portal" that can be seen at:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/Conf
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/PhpLoginExample
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/Python
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/SplashPageTemplate

The idea is an IP session based login.
The user actively needs to login and it will login the user IP address.
The helper(s) logic is based on time since the last user login.
This idea can be used as a sketch for a more advanced options with a portal.

There are other better ways to implement this idea and one of them is
using a radius server.

As you noticed there is no way to directly authenticate a proxy in
intercept mode.
Maybe someone out-there have been thinking about a way to do such a
thing but it is yet to be possible with squid.

You can combine the php session login like in dyndns based solutions.
They offer a capability to re-register a domain based on your internet
faced IP address.
Their client checks if the IP was changed and if so re-register vs the
main server(with username and password).
So for example any new registration will revoke the old registration and
any current registration is limited by to the current session life time.

Like in linux tcp_keep_alive there is an option to limit the session for
5-10 minutes and if it will not be "keeped" alive after 2 hours it will
be automatically revoked off access to the proxy.

The logic I have written can be implemented but should be carefully
designed.

All The Bests,
Eliezer Croitoru