[squid-users] Reverse Proxy Funny Logging Issue

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Thu Mar 12 15:31:01 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2013 10:39 pm, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 24/01/2013 4:13 a.m., dweimer wrote:

>>> That was a typo in the email, correct ACL is in the configuration,
>>> squid -k parse outputs no warnings or errors.

>> Changed lines back to daemon, changed acl on logs to the rewrite side
>> used on the cache_peer_access lines later in the configuration.  Works
>> now, and logs even show up with the pre-rewrite rule host
>> information...
>>
>> That does make me wonder why some lines were getting logged but not
>> all, the sites I thought were working do have higher usage, maybe I
>> was still missing a lot from them, and just not knowing it.  I guess I
>> will see if my webalizer reports show a huge gain in hit count over
>> the old records from the the 3.1.20 installation, of if this behavior
>> is only evident in the 3.2 branch.
>>

> I think you will find that the lines being logged previously were on
> the requests which were either not rewritten at all or were re-written
> from another requests URL which was being logged.
>
> Each of the ACL-driven directive labels in squid.conf is effectively
> an event trigger script - deciding whether or not to perform some
> action. This only makes sense testing when that action choice is
> requried.  Squid processing pathway checks http_access first, ... then
> some others, ... then url_rewriting, ... then the destination
> selection (cache_peer and others), ... then when the transaction is
> fully completed access_log output decision are done.
>
> Amos

Last night I applied the FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6 Update and Upgraded the
ports which included Squid 3.4.12, I enabled the LAX HTTP option in the
ports configuration with adds the --enable-http-violations compile
option. With the intention to enable broken_posts option in the
configuration. I will hopefully be able to apply any necessary changes
to the production system after I test them now.
When doing this update I did have a thought the system is running in a
FreeBSD jail and not on the base system is there a chance this issue is
caused by running within a jail? curious if anyone has ran into specific
issues running Squid in a FreeBSD jail before?

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer