[squid-users] TCP_MISS/504 in cache_peer

Stakres vdoctor at neuf.fr
Tue Jun 30 09:42:52 UTC 2015

Amos,
Yes, similar case here on the 4223.
By reading the case 4223, we can see that part "Non-cacheable objects should
never be added to the digest." from you.
In my squid, there is no restriction, ICP is fully open, squid server
(3.5.5) are compiled with the digest option, so all is done to allow
ICP/digest connection and exchange.
So, why the servers think they got the objects, especially when they are not
cacheable and not cached ?

To me, it seems the servers think they have the object but they don't, so
they reply with a 404 translated by a 504 to the squid client because
sibling archi.
I could understand it could be a bug but the squid client should see the 504
and should request the object from internet, no ?

At the moment, i use a "retry_on_error on" as a workaround but not sure it's
fixing all 504.

Then, having a dedicated cable between squid servers is not a realistic
solution, my ISP will not see that as a serious solution

Last point, "no-tproxy rule on parent type cache_peer", it does not work, we
tried that.
We applied that option 1 month ago and the internet sees the squid ip, not
the original ip address, so maybe another bug here...

Fred.