[squid-users] tos miss-mask not working at all squid 3.5.5

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 23 07:45:58 UTC 2015

On 23/06/2015 7:04 p.m., vivek singh wrote:
> what is ZPH

This explains <http://zph.bratcheda.org/>

The squid parts were added to Squid-3.x as the qos_flows directive.

BUT, copying a TOS flag from one TCP connection to another only works if
one is using HTTP/1.0 non-persistent connections (HTTP/1.1 pipeline and
persistence make outbound have incorrect TOS values), has a patched
Linux kernel (no other OS support it, nor Linux newer than 2.6.35
apparently).

> Vivek Kumar Singh
> J.T.O./ITPC-KOL
> Mobile     08902000538
> Landline  033-23211548
>

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Dan Charlesworth wrote:
>
>> It's also worth pointing out that your messages are getting flagged as
>> Spam by Gmail, which probably isn't helping visibility.
>>
>> On 23 June 2015 at 06:11, mohammad wrote:
>>
>>> why is no-one answering this ?!!
>>>
>>> BTW, i tried the kernel patch 2.6.35 from ZPH, it worked intermittently,
>>> and
>>> stopped working after a squid re-build.

AFAIK, thats the best anyone has had TOS preserve-miss working since
Linux 3.0 came out.

The last attempt I helped with (sometime way back around 2012/2013) had
to translate the TOS value on client connection into a netfilter MASK
value, then use the MASK preserve-miss, and translate from MASk to TOS
on the server connection. Good luck with that though success was also
somewhat intermittent.

As mentioned above HTTP/1.1 high performance features can break it. Even
normal HTTP operations such as revalidation can cause problems because
HTTP is stateless - the inbound and outbound TCP connections are *not
1:1 related*.